Monday, October 17, 2011

All Good in Ghana

Well Dad, another son leaves the nest. Chandler and Devrey look great! With tears in my eyes I look at them and realize that things for the "Hair Boys," continue to change and will never be the same. I remember the good old days of two-on-two futbol and roller hockey in Spain. Although times together will now be few, I know with all of my heart that after this life it will be forever. I love you Dad, and when I get home we are going to be doing a lot together. Thank you for your continued prayers.

Amanda, I am happy that you got the fabric! I really thought hard about that dress. It is one of the favorite styles the girls wear here. The fabric itself takes a long time to make and if they mess up, it gets spoiled. I'm told you should wash it by hand. Maybe you will have to look on line to see how Ghanaians wash by hand. HAHAHA! I love you, Amanda! Your new school picture looks superb!!! I keep it in my white handbook and show it to everyone!!!

Mom, I love the Ghanaian people very much and can't wait to be able to tell you stories, and cook you foods that you will think came from heaven. I love you and can't believe how you and Amanda are getting more and more beautiful every day.

We took a trotro the other day that had a rusted out hole the size of a CD right below my feet. The typical trotro, is a far cry from the buses back home. Another time, I was sitting in the back seat when they had piled loads of plantain and cassava (fufu ingredients) onto the back of the tro. The rope broke as they were weaving in and out of traffic, and all of the stuff fell out including us almost. As we continued on the incline our seat, not securely bolted, almost went with it. We held on tight and managed to stay inside the tro. Sometimes there can be up to 15 people as well as children on their mother's laps as they travel to and from school. It makes my day when the kids rub my face or the hair on my arm. Most of the time the mate will try to charge us too much because they think we do not know the rates. Once, a mate tried to charge me extra and I told him he was "o-bwa" (not being straight with me) and one of the ladies asked me in Twi how much he was charging me. When I told her, she started yelling at the mate, then others joined in. The woman gave him a few slaps on the back of the head, meanwhile the driver was laughing at the whole thing. We have seen that same guy in his tro again and we just share laughs at how the Obroni knows the rates.

Life is all good in Ghana. We have been going over the former investigator section in PMG to get ideas and inspiration to contact former investigators that were previously not ready to accept the Gospel. We just got another large group of Elders this transfer, many from the US. It is amazing how fast the mission is going. I love the work and each and every day that goes by I look back and ask myself, "Did Elder Hair do everything he could this day to serve the Lord with all of his heart?" More than a year on my mission and I have never regretted a day of service. That doesn't mean I've been perfect, but I don't have any regrets and have learned so much. I love learning new things from my scripture study each and every day. There are so many things I wish I could just write down and talk about. My journal writing has been going well. I haven't missed a day. I know that I will really be grateful for that later in life. I love you all and know this work is divine.

Elder Hair

No comments: