Wednesday, January 5, 2011

A Sunyani New Year

Thank you for your letters. We taught a lesson this week to a man we thought understood English, but soon found out he understood very little. Elder Omini continued to teach him and it was pretty funny. At one point, we asked if he would turn down his music, but he thought we asked him to turn it up, so while teaching him the promise pattern, Bob Marley was blaring in the background; "Buffalo Soldier, in the heart of America."

As Christmas ended and the New Year began, Elder Omini and I discussed how quiet Sunyani was around the new year. As we were walking to another lesson, we saw a small girl sitting with her friend in front of her home. They were playing with her new Christmas present. As we got a closer look at the doll she had in her hand, I noticed that it was new but did not have the right amount of hair and was missing a finger. How grateful I was at that time for my many blessings. The Ghanaian government is getting a bad rap as gas prices rise and taxis and chrochros are more expensive. Very few have cars and it is hard for people to afford the taxi fare.

Mom, something pretty funny happened this week as I was cutting up a bunch of onions. My eyes began to hurt and tears came down as I cut three or four. I don't know if you remember when we watched together the movie, Julie and Juliet, but I remember laughing right next to you as the camera panned into the kitchen where she was cutting those onions. I really enjoyed those times I got to spend with my mother who loves some of the same things that I do.

We met a man in the street that told us he was "the best dancer in the whole world" and started to do a dance where he hung down like an orangutan and sang Adu Adua Adu Adua Kinka Dinka Dink Kingka Dinka Dink, as he strutted down the street. He was fun to watch.

We traveled two hours to Kumasi for P day this week, and man it was a lot of fun to be able to go around the city and see how huge it is, not at all like my first area near Cape Coast.

It is truly incredible how much you have to put your trust in the Lord when you think you are all alone. I can't believe it is already 2011. Lets set goals this year that we know we can achieve! May the Spirit of the Lord remain in our family stronger then ever as we reach these last days which are so near. I love you all and hope you enjoy this new year.

Love,

Elder Hair

No comments: