Monday, October 18, 2010

Hair's the latest . . .(highlights from Spencer's most recent letter home)


The weather in Elmina is hot, and I've already noticed that I've lost some weight! I have enjoyed the little time that I put in each morning and night doing situps and pushups. I will be a lean, mean, fighting machine when I get home. I've been told the apartment that Elder Leko and I have is one of the few that's completely sealed with screens, and that it's OK to sleep without a net. I do see lots of mosquitoes!!! One I saw the other day was the size of a quarter.

While walking up "Java Hill" to an appointment, we saw an investigator that was pounding Fufu, so we stopped and asked if she needed any help. She said no, but I went up to her cement hut she calls home and grabbed the pistil which is a 4 foot long, 5 inch wide log, and started to pound Fufu for about 20 min. Elder Leko took several pictures while I was pounding. There were lots of kids and parents that had gathered around to watch. I heard them all yelling Obronie and other words in Fante. When I was done, I was tired, but tried hard not to show it! Her mother said, "Eh, an Obronie that can pound, and better than any I've seen in a while---you will now eat." They brought out the food in a bowl for my comp and I to share. There was the Fufu, light soup which is the spiciest thing I have ever had, and two cooked fish with the eye balls taken out. It looked nasty, but tasted quite good. We ate it all and moved on with the day. I woke up in the morning and started feeling bad. I went into the bathroom and. . .(we'll spare everyone Spencer's detailed description of what happened next).

I love the work and service we can do for others, and I know we will be blessed for it. We went out that day even though I still wasn't feeling too well. As we left the apartment, I realized that my back bike tire was spoiled, so we had to walk to get that fixed. The guy that fixed it was probably 25 or so. He asked us lots of questions about why we were in Ghana. After we talked I pulled out my money to pay him but he said... No, you are missionaries, for you it's free.

Our ward covers a pretty large area. Some of our members have to walk or catch a Tro Tro about 45 min from the chapel. We have about 30 primary children who are all very dear to my heart. We have been teaching a guy named Randy. He's 25 and one of the most amazing people I have ever met. Please keep him in your prayers. After we taught him the first lesson, we asked him to read the first 3 pages of the Restoration pamphlet. He read the whole pamphlet through twice. What a man! He then came to Church this week and was more active in the conversations during Priesthood and the investigator class then anyone. He's a very smart guy.

I love the Ghanaian people. They are not afraid to speak their minds, and the local leaders are great.

Love you all!!!

Elder Ihwi

No comments: