Monday, November 21, 2011

31 New Missionaries

Dear Family,

This has been the fastest week of my entire mission. On Monday, Elder Adams and Elder Tadeo (who left for home on Wed) drove to Kumasi to pick me up, along with 4 other Elders who also went home on Wed. We drove for almost 4 hours straight to the mission home and spent the night there. In the morning, we traveled 3 1/2 hrs to the temple in Accra, arriving just in time for the 1230 session. I have missed the temple so much. Then we rushed two different groups to the airport, helping them check in for their flights home. When we finished, we drove to the MTC an hour away, making it just as 31 new missionaries were singing the opening song. We spent the night at the MTC. Wow, did that bring back some great memories! Early the next morning, Elder Adams and I drove 8 new Elders up to Kumasi in the van. The rest, boarded a bus for their new assignments in the southern part of the mission.


After a very scenic 5 hr ride north of Accra, including a beautiful place called Koforidua, we pulled into Kumasi where we had a small lunch for the new missionaries before handing them off to their trainers. Remembering my missionary interview with my Stake President, Pres Eyring at BYUI, I thought a lot about his advice to be willing to be a trainer of new missionaries. Some say obedience is not easy, but in all reality, I believe it's just like any other good habit that we all need to form in our lives. We then took one Elder 4 hrs back to the mission home to meet up with three others who we drove to Obuasi, which is a new area being opened.

The next morning, we traveled 3 hrs with two of the best missionaries and their two "sons" straight from the MTC, to a small, but very nice mining town. We helped them get settled and stayed the night there. The following day, we met new investigators and introduced them to some great members in the area before driving back to the mission home. By the time we got back to our apartment, Elder Adams and I were dead!!!

We live behind the mission home, inside the same compound. It is so exciting to be back in Cape Coast, and I am thrilled to work with the locals here. We attend a small branch called Bakano. The Church meetings were great yesterday. We meet in the nicest building I have served in. The Cape Coast 1st and 2nd Wards also meet here. Finally, after Church, Elder Adams and I were able to teach lessons again, and like best friends, we felt very comfortable teaching together. I will truly cherish my time with him. We are going to work hard and have a lot of fun.

I am overwhelmed but excited to be able to work with such great people. I will always be grateful for Chris, Tyler, and Chandler for their example to me. I hope and pray that I can serve as they did and be the missionary that my Heavenly Father intended for me to be.

Love

Elder Hair

No comments: