Monday, November 7, 2011

Temple and Family History

Two quick stories about the temple and family history work . . .

A recent convert from Elmina, Brother Kwame, works at the Cape Coast Castle mortuary and has been a member of the Church for almost 7 months. Elder Leko and I had been working with him to get him ready to go to the temple. Three weeks before he went, we had a Temple Training meeting with the Pres and his wife. They taught us how to simply get on the Family History website, set up an account for our investigators, and help them write down all of their information. It was amazing how much Bro Kwame remembered about his own family and his wife's family. As we sat down at the computer, we worked with him and showed him how to do it. When he returned from the temple, he shared with us his feelings that when members do work for someone that they truly loved and cherished, it is wonderful. That man is now a counselor in the elders quorum and goes to the temple as often as time and money permit.

While in Sunyani, you remember we baptized Sis Affia. Well, you may also remember that two weeks after her baptism she went to the temple. She had planned to travel to the temple on June 17th, which was a Thursday. On the way home from a long P-day to Kumasi, she called to tell us that she couldn't wait until Thursday, and that she was going that very evening on the night bus to Accra which would arrive at the temple at 6am the following morning. We had also planned to go with her on Wed to the cafe to help her print some records to take with her to the temple. She instead went with "blind eyes" all by herself as a 62 year old women to a place 8 hours away from home. She was able to help over 80 people receive the ordinances of baptism and confirmation. That to me is a true disciple and follower of Christ.

I hope all of us will put the things of God before the things of the world. I have missed going to the temple more than hamburgers or movies! haha We're taught as missionaries to encourage our investigators to make simple promises to read and pray, and come to Church. I have promised myself that when I get home, I WILL go to the temple at least once a week, unless I am on my sick bed or in a place where I cannot go!

God help us all to do what we know is right. Time is the coin of life and only you can determine how it will be spent. I love this gospel more than life itself and will try to do all I can to obey. I will have fun, BUT I will always try to be centered on those things that are most important.

I love you all!

Elder Hair

No comments: