Monday, July 2, 2012

People to Teach, Hearts to Touch

Dear Family,
   
This past week we topped the charts with 15 investigators at Church. 10 adults from different families, and five children. Our next baptism is on the 8th for a sister named U (age 27) who was referred to us by the branch clerk, who was referred to us by the branch president and a boy named D (age 14), who was referred to us by one of our recent converts. All of those good members have shown faith in the Lord's message by coming to Church, participating in their classes, reading the Book of Mormon, and sharing the Gospel with their friends.

P and F were both confirmed on Sunday and it was one of the sweetest things. After F was confirmed, she was crying, and I could tell that she had truly felt the spirit touch her heart that day. I also had the privilege to stand in the circle for my first blessing of a new born baby.
   
This week, we worked hard to help those Elder Kakowa and I are teaching to feel the true spirit of our message by making sure that they knew how much we love them, and how much the members love them. On our way to an appointment, we had just come from a group of houses, and as we reached the main road, I saw a lady and her small boy getting out of a taxi just coming from town. She had a big box and two large bags full of cassava and plantain.

 
She was trying to ask one of the men that worked at a sawmill near the junction to look after her bags while she went home for help.  Elder Kakowa and I hurried over to help. I asked her where she was going (oko-wien) and she told me that she was going to her house (me ko fea). We grabbed the bags from the ground, put them on top of our heads, and began walking with her. I honestly thought it was only going be just down the street, but 15-20 minutes later after climbing over a few fallen trees, and across a small river, then up the slippery hill on the other side, we finally reached the house, sweating like pigs. There were about 5 women sitting outside the house who quickly rushed towards us to help. When one reached up to take the bag from me, I spoke to her in Twi and she acted very surprised that an "obronie" knew some of their language. We placed the goods on the woman's front door then turned to leave. The woman thanked us over and over again, then asked what we were doing in Ghana.  When we told her that we were missionaries, she wanted to learn more about the Church. We had another appointment, but we were happy we left a good impression, and set a time to return.  As we walked away, I looked at Elder Kakowa and said; "now didn't that feel good?" His reply; "ya, now that's missionary work."
The Lord not only puts into our paths people to teach, but hearts to touch. Although we didn't have time to teach those people, we left an impression about the Church that will hopefully be remembered by that family.

This is the gospel of Jesus Christ. This is His church and I'm grateful to hold His Priesthood. I know that it works if we have faith and act when we are prompted to do so.

"Because I have been given much, I too must give..," It is not our priesthood that we hold, but it is His, and we need to use it more often. I know this Church is true. I am one of His representatives and at the coming day, I too will feel the nail marks in His hands and in His feet, and I shall wet His feet with my tears. 

Let us all remember who we are so that we can be forever strong!
   
Love
  
Elder Hair

No comments: