Monday, March 28, 2011

First Sunyani Unit Conference

It blows my mind how much my testimony has grown over the past 7 months. I love the Lord more now than anything in the world. I have been blessed with good companions. We work hard and we try to be patient when we aren't always successful. Although I miss and think/talk about you all the time, I know my responsibility as a missionary and as a member of our family. I love the work that is going on here. I've been in Fiapre now longer than I was in my first area, Elmina, and I would not be surprised if I stay here quite a bit longer.

This week we had our first Unit Conference with all four units and man it was incredible! Four of our serious investigators attended the conference. Three of them have baptismal dates for the 16th as well as two others who were not there. I am so excited and truly have been able to see the fruits of our labors. It has literally been the hardest thing I've done in my life. The sun is overbearing all the time, but when we teach a good lesson, our spirits rise and life is good again. I am continuing to pick up more of the Twi dialect which has been one of the biggest ice breakers. Even though they might speak to my Nigerian companion first, once they realize that he doesn't know a lick of Twi, they look back at me and laugh, and then talk small to me. It's crazy that I can understand much of what they're saying and talk small.

As time goes on, I continue to get more and more excited about what lies ahead. Time is flying by. I can't believe March is almost over. We played B-Ball against some Ghanaians this P-day. It felt good to get back on the court again. It's Elder Omini's birthday on the 15th of April. We are going to get him a sweet jersey, and man he is going to be so excited! I have learned a lot about his family and the country of Nigeria. If you could send some news about the current situation in Nigeria, especially Calabar, I would love to be able to share it with E. Omini. His father told him to not email home while on his mission and without question he has obeyed. I can see it's been rough on him, even though he tries to hide it. His Dad was a powerful JW missionary who was converted, becoming one of the first LDS missionaries in Nigeria. I have grown to love E. Omini and respect him for who he is, even though we are very different in many ways...but we have the Church in common. Elders Omini and Hair in front of the house where they live and hold Sunday meetings

Ghana is one of the most peaceful countries in all of Africa. If other governments and individuals had the Ghanaian mindset, the world would be a better place. SLOW DOWN AND ENJOY LIFE TO THE FULLEST.

Amanda I love you so much. You are growing too fast on me. I bought you some handmade flip flops from a man that lives here in Sunyani. He's a returned missionary from the Democratic Republic of Congo and is married to another returned missionary.

I love this work and I love the Lord. I love you all and hope you are well.

PEACE!!!


No comments: