Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Going About Doing Good

Dear Fam,

What a week this has been! We have been traveling around with the mission president to different Zones in the mission for specialized training and interviews. Elder Adams and I have been sharing a few stories to help our mission focus on, "Going About Doing Good." One from Elder M. Russell Ballard, about a young prospector trying to make his fortune in the California Gold Rush, and how the Savior taught us to go about performing small acts of service for those around us. Not only performing them, but making it instinctive and without hesitation. We then shared a story about an RM named Richard who went back to a small Island named Roatan with his buddy, and how they learned something they or I will never forget. "What we do for ourselves alone dies with us, what we do for others and the world remains and is immortal." We ended the training with a question to wrap it all together. "What determines the success of a missionary and his/her mission?" Some responded; "how obedient he is," "how humble he has become," "how much he has learned about the gospel..." Then we shared with them the Mission President's answer who said, "the way to determine your success as a missionary, is by HOW MUCH MORE YOU HAVE BECOME LIKE THE SAVIOR! We bore simple testimony, and closed.

Wednesday, on our way back from Swedru, I got out of the car after sleeping small, and my chest was hurting really bad. I didn't know what it was, but it hurt. Sis Shulz called the Area West Doc who suggested it might just be constipation. I said OK and took the gas-x and some other pill that I can’t pronounce. In the back of my mind though, I was thinking, if this is constipation then I've never felt it before. This was painful, even more than when I tore my ACL, because it was just so annoying. I couldn't lay down, sit down, breath, sneeze, or do anything, because it would hurt my chest. That night I woke up many times and eventually I just couldn't sleep, it was so painful. Sis Shulz called the doc again and told him about my breathing. He thinks I may have an inflammation of the lungs called Pleurisy. I had to stay in the apartment for a day, while E. Adams and another Elder taught our lessons. I took some Ibuprofen and felt better on Friday. We then went to Assin Fosu to do more interviews. I felt fine the whole day and came home and slept like a baby until about 5am when I woke up to another very similar pain in my chest. I need to take my medicine consistently for 10 days. We had to travel to Kumasi this morning, after a terrible day yesterday, and now I'm all drugged up, so I don't feel the same pain. All in all, I'm fine. I think... haha I love messin with you Mom. Anyway I'm keeping to the Docs orders and I'm sure it will be gone before you know it.

I know that my work is not finished and without the Lord nothing is possible. I have had a lot of time to just think. It is amazing how much more than just a testimony and gospel knowledge you gain on a mission.

Thank you for that quote by Pres Monson. I've had a lot of really good convos with President and the couples on what is most important for all of us now as missionaries, and even some thoughts about the future.

I love you guys. The Lord is with us. Amanda, once again, you top all of us boys with beauty and talent.

Love,

Elder Hair

No comments: