Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Kia kaha

Hello Everyone,This week went really well. On Monday we had the ward New Years Party at a nice beach here in Cape Coast. We enjoyed some food and played a little football and Frisbee on the beach, but NO swimming!

On Tuesday we had another great Zone Council meeting with all of the ZL's in the mission. We are continuing to implement what we call GC's (Gospel Conversations), and it has been incredible the feedback we are getting from the missionaries. We are encouraged to take the time to just speak to people on a friendly basis, and ask them how their everyday lives are going. Then we tactfully start a gospel discussion. It's working well. Sis Shulz also spoke to the missionaries about a campaign/competition to get the missionaries to eat more healthy foods (with prizes of course).On Wed, we traveled to Sunyani to return three sets of Zone Leaders to their areas up north. We teamed up with missionaries in Kumasi and Obuasi, then traveled back the following morning after a night on the hard floor.

I'm studying again the Book of Mormon and Doctrine and Covenants for my personal study and I have really gotten into it. Church on Sunday went well. I didn't understand a word that was said. (haha) After church we went to visit many people with our ward mission leader. It was a long day, but a great day. We realized Sunday morning that we hadn't bought any food for that day, so two weeks in a row we would be fasting. We had no food in the apartment and then recognized how so many Ghanaians around us must feel every day. Instead of living their lives in peace, they live from meal to meal. I am grateful for the experience.

Our ward mission leader has been going through a bit of a struggle and I want to share something I learned from him. Jessie is a taxi driver in Cape Coast and a return missionary from the Accra Mission. He is probably one of the most humble people that I have ever met. Right now, his taxi is not running and all of the money that he had saved up, has been put towards that taxi to try and fix the mysterious problem. After numerous mechanics, he still can't figure out what is wrong. He is broke, but works harder than anyone I know at his calling. He deserves all of the blessings that he needs to get over this trial. On top of that, he had to come home three months early due to an unexpected injury. He doesn't know how it happened, but his knee, back, and arm on his right left side give him a lot of pain. After all of that, he MAKES time to do home teaching. After all of that, he MAKES time to be the most devoted member to his calling in the stake. And after all of that, he MAKES time to listen to the prophets by still being a missionary even after serving a faithful mission. I don't know what kind of heart he's got in that body of his, but I want mine to grow to be like his.

For us as missionaries, if we are not working hard and MAKING the time to do all of the little things, then we will not return with honor to our families, homes, and our God who gave us life. "Kia kaha," FOREVER STRONG! That is our mission motto.

I love the things that I am able to learn and I can't wait to be able to serve in the temple when I get home. I want to be able to learn as much as I can. We have a prophet today and he leads us in the direction that we need to go. I am so thankful for that knowledge and also the knowledge of our Savior and His infinite Atonement. The Lord loves me and knows me. I love Him and am coming to know Him even more every day. This is His church, and His Gospel. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Love Elder Hair

No comments: